Detachment History

The Sgt. William L. Dixon Detachment of the Marine Corps League has various dates to commemorate.

They include the organization of the United States Marine Corps, the Marine Corps League and their own detachment.

On Nov. 10, 1775 the Continental Congress in Philadelphia approved a resolution stating: "two Battalions of Marines be raised." They were established to be a special armed amphibious fighting group. Their longtime motto is "Semper Fidelis" meaning "always faithful." Their nickname is "leathernecks" because until 1872 the Marine Uniform included a high leather collar.

The Marine Corps League was founded by Major General Commandant John A. Lejeune in 1923 and chartered by an Act of Congress on Aug. 4, 1937. Its membership of nearly 56000 is comprised of honorable discharged active duty and Reserve Marines with 90 days of service or more, and retired Marines. It includes officer, enlisted, male and female members.

The Marine Corps League is headed by an elected National Commandant with 13 elected staff officers who serve as trustees. The National Headquarters is located in Fairfax, Va. There are more than 812 community-based detachments located throughout the United States and overseas.

Sgt. William L. Dixon for whom the Clearfield County Detachment of the Marine Corps League was named, is a Clearfield young man who met death on Iwo Jima while serving with the Marine Corps in World War II. Sgt. Dixon was 23 when he was killed Mar. 5, 1945 and had already received two Purple Hearts while seeing action in the Marshall Islands, Roi-Namur Island, and Tinian Saipan with the 1st Platoon, G Company, 2nd Battalion, 24th Marines and 4th Marine Division. Before joining the Marine Corps Nov. 10, 1942 Sgt. Dixon had served nine months with the National Guard. In addition to the Purple Hearts, his decorations included a Gold Star Ribbon and Medal, two Presidential Unit Citation Ribbons, a Navy Unit Commendation, Asiatic Pacific Ribbon with four Battle Stars, American Theater Ribbon and World War II Ribbon and medal.

His body was returned to the United States Mar. 22, 1948, and he was buried at Crown Crest Memorial Park May 1, 1948.

Sgt. Dixon was born at DuBois Jan. 28, 1922, and later lived at O'Shanter until 1935 when his father died. The family then moved to Clearfield. His mother Mrs Mae Dixon he had a brother, Max, and a sister, Mrs Harry Rowles.

Sgt. Dixon's name was chosen for the Marine Corps League Detachment, in part, because Retired Gunnery Sergeant Robert R. Gibbons Jr. of Clearfield, who was instrumental in organizing the Detachment, was with Sgt. Dixon when he was killed on Iwo Jima.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us |